Changes in 2023
Beginning in 2023, First Tee has undergone a curriculum refresh, and First Tee – Greater Houston is proud to play an integral part, as well as provide critical feedback to our national office. Returning participants and families will notice that our classes have shifted to an age-based structure, regardless of skill level or current status in the Life Skills Experience program. The advantages of switching to an age-based structure are numerous and participants may find that learning amongst peers their own age proves a more comfortable environment. Participants with greater golf experience and those who have progressed to higher levels of the program will also find they have the opportunity to demonstrate leadership amongst their peers by helping others during class and setting a good example. Participants will now be exposed to lessons previously reserved for upper levels earlier in their First Tee journey. Lessons like goal setting and conflict management are introduced early on.
For those who have worked so hard to reach higher levels of the program, their levels still count! We will still be tracking hours in each level, working in yardage books, and tracking golf skill and lesson knowledge to certify into higher levels. However, instead of having a single week of certification at the end of each session, participants will demonstrate their skills and knowledge throughout the session, allowing them to move up when they’re ready!
At First Tee – Greater Houston, we’re Building Game Changers by empowering kids and teens to be the best version of themselves.
By seamlessly integrating the game of golf with character-building, we create learning experiences that help kids uncover their inner strength, self-confidence, and resilience that they can carry to everything they do.
Our trained coaches not only provide an introduction to junior golf and an opportunity to enhance golf skills, but they also create a safe, supportive, and empowering environment to help your child prepare for life ahead, including friendships, school, college and even their careers.
- Understanding and managing emotions
- Resolving conflicts
- Setting up step-by-step goals
- Planning for the future
- Appreciating diversity
- Golf fundamentals and advanced techniques
Advancing through the Program
Participants progress through levels by demonstrating inner strength, character, and the life and golf skills they have learned. All participants regardless of age start at the PLAYer level.
- PLAYer (required minimum age 7) – Tee it up for the first time and learn the game of golf and First Tee’s Code of Conduct
- Par (recommended minimum age 9) – Focus on interpersonal and self-management skills on and off the course
- Birdie (recommended minimum age 11) – Emphasis on setting goals and making them a reality
- Eagle (recommended minimum age 13) – Learn resilience, conflict resolution, and future planning
- Ace (required minimum age 14 or entering 9th grade) – Put it all together and hone in on setting goals, career education, and giving back to the community
Cost: $30 per session